Welcome to Wonderfully Vegetarian - a down-to-earth cooking experience based on my kitchen exploits.

Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. -- Albert Einstein

You must have heard "Kalyana Samayal satham" song at some point. Well, may be not quite there, but I certainly hope the posts in this blog enrich your cooking experience and lets you approach cooking with a SMILE, rather than as a chore or a rules to follow regimen. Anything Vegetarian goes, ONLY criterion: The end product MUST taste good - to those you are serving.




****************************************************************





Welcome to Wonderfully Vegetarian - a down-to-earth cooking experience based on my kitchen exploits! Are you under pressure? Guests are coming at short notice, perhaps? Not enough ingredients, not much time to plan? Then you have landed at the right kitchen!!! I will gladly help you figure out a "Guest approved" tasty menu with waht ingredients you have and at a short time! No more hazzled faces! Be prepared for your guests with a Cheerful, worry-free happy cooking!!!!

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 11, 2010

பார்த்தால் பசி தீரும் !!! PRESENTATION PRESENTATION PRESENTATION!!!


பார்த்தால் பசி தீரும் !!! PRESENTATION PRESENTATION PRESENTATION!!!

Now you all know that men are a tad bit reluctant to eat salads, whereas, we - I mean womenfolk literally love salads and some would even live on it! Nowadays I am caught in the dilemma of cooking for my better half (who becomes the bitter half on surveying the rice-rich menu) things that he would like to eat vs. things that he should eat. Oh! did I mention that he has embraced a "life-style" of healthy eating and a strict regimen of exercise? Now, we don't see eye to eye, ANY MENU!!! (well, we will not divulge into other areas, if you know what I mean! :-) )
So one night as I was preparing the dinner, a thousand watt bulb flashed in my cartoon head! Aha. I have the perfect solution now.
I had made channa and some other vegetable, sambhar, rice, etc.,
I got the lettuce, tomato and cucumbers and a mini apple (the real small cute ones) and cut them as I would for a salad.
Took a dinner plate and laid a generous layer of lettuce. To this I decoratively placed cut cucumbers and tomatoes.
Then mixed some sambhar rice (1/6 the quantity an adult would eat) and placed it in the center. On all sides I placed small balls/ amounts of the cooked vegetable. Topped it with some nuts and lo and behold! I had the perfect dinner plate. It was low in calories, looked very colourful and attractive, and had lots of cooked and raw vegetables with a very small portion of the mixed rice. 
We both looked at it and beamed! So you see, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU COOK (only sometimes, guys, not always). It has to be presented appropriately, knowing your audience. 
From that day forward, I started presenting the dinner attractively. This picture is from yesterday's dinner - on a bed of lettuce and brocolli florets and since I ran out of cucumber, I substituted it with green zucchini and used pears instead of apples.
The next one is my daughter's dinner plate. I placed two smaller lettuces and placed her mixed rice on each and had a row of the vegetable in the middle. 
When it came to mine, I was basically tired, just placed lettuce and  served my portion of rice and vegetables in a triangular fashion.

So, there you see - it is all in the eye of the beholder! OR it all comes down to PRESENTATION, PRESENTATION, PRESENTATION!

Happy cooking !!!!!!!!!! and Happier eating....!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Please visit again! Happy cooking!!!!!

Count your blessings ....

Count your blessings ....
Chinna Chinna asai...